Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://blog.er24.co.za
and update your bookmarks.

ER24 Media Blog: Days of Days by Kristal Stander

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Days of Days by Kristal Stander

I wake up by the sound of my alarm
It is early before break of dawn
I get ready for work
Polish my shoes
Brush my hair
Saying my own little prayer
I give you a kiss goodbye
Who knows today might be my last day

I get to work, have my morning coffee with a light of a smoke
We all stand around talking
The phone rings, this is our first call
Sirens go on we heading through the traffic
There is a patient dying move out of the road idiot.
The longer we take the less time this patient might have

I see the lady crying, her husbands lying in her arms dying
She begs she pleads, she stands there and shouts at me
I know I’m doing all I can, I look up and into her eye and say:
“Ma’am we trying our best, your husband is in good hands.”
Will she be alone after today?
Will her bed be empty and left with only her eyes filled with tears?

Call by call Minute by minute
I smell something burning
I hear people screaming
All that I can see is this cloud of black smoke
HELP! HELP! HELP!

How sad is that that you hear and see people wanting help
But all you can do is stare you can’t get to them
They say a dead PARAMEDIC IS NO PARAMEDIC
The flames go bigger and fire gets warmer
Is there enough water to put this fire out?
Hours go by and in my heart I’m bleeding
I’m bleeding for those who lost their loved ones in that fire
How bad is that?
did they know that today was going to be their last day?
Did he get to say his last say?
Did he tell his wife that he is sorry?
Did he tell her that he loved her?
I wonder if he even knew she was carrying a little life inside of her.

What a day? People ask how we sleep at night.
People ask how you turn around and still laugh.
Do those people actually understand that if we never laughed that we would never have come this far?
Do they even know what we feel inside?
We don’t show tears in our eyes
We show it in our hearts, we deal with it our own way.

It is late im heading back home.
Im tired and im hungry.
Never mind that im dirty...

Author: Kristal Stander (ER24)

No comments:

Post a Comment